The Wisconsin men’s soccer team will look for revenge this Sunday when they line up against the United Soccer League (USL) First Division Minnesota Thunder squad for the second time in the Badgers’ 2005 spring season. The match will take place on neutral ground in LaCrosse, WI at 1p.m., marking each team’s first ever trip to the western Wisconsin city.In their spring season opener earlier this year, the Badgers suffered a 1-0 loss to the Thunder during a four-team round robin at the McClain indoor complex. Though head coach Jeff Rohrman would have preferred a different outcome, he managed to come away from the result with a targeted aspect to improve upon.“I think we have to finish our chances,” Rohrman said. “I thought in [the last] game [the Thunder] took the chance that they had very well, and I thought we created enough to come away with a goal or two, but just didn’t finish. Now, trying to replace Nick (Van Sicklen) and Jed (Hohlbein) is certainly going to be a big priority for us.”The departure of forwards Van Sicklen and Hohlbein at the close of the 2004 fall season has left the team with a lack of firepower in front of the net. For the team’s future, Rohrman will have to depend on his younger players to fill the roles up front and provide scoring opportunities.In addition to finishing their chances in front of goal, Rohrman also hopes the team’s defensive play will continue to make positive strides.“I think we had one shutout last year, so we’re trying to improve a little bit on the defensive side,” Rohrman said. “We’re a team with a core of guys being juniors — especially in the back — so I think we have to take a step forward and really concentrate on not giving up goals. Having lost nine games by one goal last fall, we [have] to turn the table a little bit in that area.”Because of the early timing of the last match, the Badgers will face a more complete and polished Thunder squad this time around with the USL season beginning just around the corner on April 29.“The team that we will be playing on Sunday will have a different look to it,” Rohrman said. “Given where [the Thunder] were in their preseason last time, it was very early for them, and they really had not had an opportunity to put together what they would consider to be their first team yet for their season … I think it will be a much more improved team on their side, so the challenge will be much greater for us.”Despite the different levels of play — professional vs. NCAA Division 1 — the Badgers are not inexperienced with facing opponents from the USL, nor have they been deterred by the intense competition.“In the past we’ve played the Thunder, we’ve also played the Milwaukee Rampage,” Rohrman said. “Obviously with the proximity of the Milwaukee-based professional team it’s somebody we’re regularly going to play. Those two, in particular, are teams we know pretty well and have played in the past and have done quite well against as well.”The trip to LaCrosse will also serve as a homecoming for sophomore goalkeeper Mike Hood. A redshirted freshman in 2003, Hood is now vying for the starting keeper position with fellow sophomore Jake Settle following the exit of 2004 tri-captain Eric Hanson.“Mike [Hood] will get an opportunity to play in the game,” Rohrman said. “Certainly for the folks who come out to see us, I think they will be excited to see Mike and see how he has come along. He’s had a pretty good spring so he’s certainly earned the minutes, and I think it will be nice for him to get in front of his home crowd and play a team like the Thunder.”Competing with the Thunder will be no easy task for the Badgers, but Rohrman believes the team has the ability to play with, and potentially defeat the club.“I think if we come out with the same intensity, same defensive presence, and just concentrate on the final third we’ll do fine,” Rohrman said. “Because we’re a team — as far as we’ve seen in the last few weeks — that is going to create some good chances, and now we just have to do our part putting those away.”
The heartbroken girlfriend of a man who was shot dead at their Co Donegal home has told how she tried desperately to save his life.Andrew Allen died within seconds after a gunman shot three times into the bedroom of the couple’s home at Buncrana in February 2012. Mr Allen, aged 24, had been in bed around 9.30pm with partner Arelene Farrelly when the lone gunman called to the house at 26 Links View Park.Ms Farrelly told how herself and Mr Allen were tucked up in bed on the evening of February 9th, he was on his Playstation and she was on her phone while also watching television.In a statement to Donegal Coroner’s Court held at Buncrana Courthouse, Ms Farrelly, who was not present in court, told how she initially heard loud bangs at the front door of the house.She peeked out the curtains and saw a man dressed in a black baseball cap and dark clothing kicking at the door and holding what looked like a sawn-off shotgun in his hand.The scene of the murder of Andrew Allen in Buncrana in 2012.She told Mr Allen and he told her to call the Gardai as he struggled to get some clothing on.Seconds later three shots were fired through the bedroom window and Mr Allen slumped to the bedroom floor.Ms Farrelly’s statement read “He said “Arlene, I can’t feel my legs”. The blood was pumping out of him. It was coming out of his nose and his mouth. I tried to turn him in the bed but he was too heavy. He slid down, …I rang an ambulance.”Ms Farrelly ran to a neighbour’s home to get help and Mr Daniel McGonagle rushed to the scene.He said he could not do CPR but Ms Farrelly tried a number of times but Mr Allen did not respond.She eventually stopped and realised that her partner was dead.Mr McGonagle added that Mr Allen, whom he did not know personally, was turning blue and that his mouth was full of blood. He remarked to another neighbour who arrived in the house – “I think he’s as dead as a Dodo.”He revealed earlier how he had heard gunshots and came out of his house to see a grey or silver-coloured car leaving the scene.He recalled thinking he had seen the same car on the state a few days earlier and remarking that he was parked in a strange manner.In her statement Ms Farrelly revealed how her partner’s name had been on a list of six people sent in an envelope accompanied by a bullet to the Family Centre in Gobnascale in Derry a few weeks earlier.He stayed most of the time in Buncrana after that.However, she added that his family had been telephoned later to say the threat had been lifted and he was no longer on the list.She added “I know he (Andrew) was involved in drugs years ago but he had no involvement while he was with me.”Dr Stephen McNally, who was based at the Nowdoc Service in Carndonagh on the night of the killing, arrived at the scene and officially pronounced Mr Allen dead.The following day, former State Pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy carried out a post mortem on Mr Allen’s remains.Her report was read into the court by coroner Dr Denis McCauley.He said Mr Allen had been shot three times – in the right shoulder, the right hip and in the abdomen.The bullet which struck his right shoulder traveled down through his right lung and into his heart and this was the bullet which killed Mr Allen, Dr Cassidy’s report said.She found that Mr Allen died from a gunshot wound to the heart.Garda Detective Inspector Pat O’Donnell said he was assigned as the chief investigating officer in the case.He said that hundreds of lines of enquiry have been followed and hundreds of people interviewed.He added “It is my professional opinion that Andrew Allen died as a result of an unlawful killing.”He later appealed to anybody with any information on the murder to come forward and to speak to the Gardai in confidence.The jury of five men and two men only took a short time to agree unanimously that Mr Allen died as a result fo a gunshot wound to the heart and that his death was as a result of an unlawful killing.Coroner Dr McCauley expressed his sympathy to the members of the Allen family present in court as did Garda Inspector David Durkin and members of the jury.The Allen family declined to make a comment after the inquest.Woman tells how she tried desperately to save slain boyfriend was last modified: September 13th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Andrew Allenbuncranacoronerdeaddonegalinquestmurdershot
LAS VEGAS–As their vision for 2019 continues to take shape, the San Francisco Giants hope to meet with Scott Boras, the agent representing free agent superstar Bryce Harper.Even with veteran starters returning on the left side of the infield, the Giants also plan to meet with Dan Lozano, the representative for power-hitting shortstop Manny Machado.Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi has an extensive offseason shopping list and a busy itinerary in Las Vegas, but he’s indicated …
brian s hall The Dos and Don’ts of Brand Awareness Videos Tags:#Communications#email#Government#messaging Guide to Performing Bulk Email Verification Related Posts Perhaps it’s too late for letter writing, though. If my son could get this far without knowing how to mail a letter, I fear the writing is already on the wall. If not on the envelope. Facebook is Becoming Less Personal and More Pro… I’m not sure who to blame. His mother, perhaps, or the public school system. But it turns out that my son—days away from graduating from high school—does not know how to send mail through the U.S. Postal Service. I am not making this up.The boy has a smartphone, a tablet and a laptop, does some basic coding, is pretty good at computer-assisted design and gets excellent grades. He can bang out what appears to be 60 words per minute using only his thumbs. But a letter? Forget about it—he doesn’t even know how to properly address an envelope. The Mysteries Of Snail MailThe only reason I discovered this is because his mother and I told him it was appropriate—and highly profitable—to send graduation announcements to his grandparents, aunts and uncles.I witnessed the entire confounding process.First, he wrote the mailing address on the top right of the envelope—and only the address, no name. I corrected him, fatherly, handing him a fresh envelope: “The mailing address goes in the center. It has to be personalized.”Success! I then handed him a stamp. This clearly baffled him. The notion of a physical stamp seemed like witchcraft. “A stamp is required,” I continued. He placed it, carefully, in the top left corner of the envelope.“That’s not where it goes! Don’t you know how to mail a letter?” I was beginning to lose patience.We started again—though I told him he owed me $.50 for the ruined stamp. This time, he printed—his penmanship is atrocious—the name and address, correctly, in the center of the envelope. Next, he carefully placed the stamp, level straight, on the top right, as I instructed.So far so good: “Now put the return address on the top left.” I said. “Print clearly, please.”He stared back at me. “What’s a return address?”He’s almost ready to register with the Selective Service and he doesn’t know what a return address is!I breathed in, deeply. “A return address is your address. Our address.”“They’re not sending this envelope back to me, are they?” he asked.“It’s required by the Post Office!” I barked.He rolled his eyes with an obscene level of teenage skepticism, though was wise enough to comply.I took the completed letter from him, deciding it best that I personally take it to the post office. What’s Happening Here?How is it possible that the world’s most connected, most tech-savvy generation ever does not know how to mail a letter? What else don’t they know?I stopped at the doorway, inspired. “Get your computer. Go to USPS.gov (turns out it’s really USPS.com).”If he saw for himself—on the screen—how to properly mail a letter, maybe he’d get it, I thought. Unfortunately, the Postal Service doesn’t know it has a problem here. We couldn’t find any instructions at all on how to mail a letter. Not from the USPS home page, nor from its “Quick Tools” section, nor the SEND MAIL tab, nor even from the FAQs—including the “common questions” section. “Google it. Google ‘how to address a letter‘.”The results came back instantly. The very first entry was from the Walter L. Parsley Elementary School. There, with text and pictures, were simple instructions for addressing a letter. A Comprehensive Guide to a Content Audit
zoom The EU-Canada Free Trade Agreement (CETA) has received the final approval on February 15, as the European Parliament granted its final endorsement for the deal following votes in a number of Parliamentary committees.The European Parliament’s final vote on the free trade agreement, eight years after CETA negotiations began, marks the conclusion of the long and difficult process in which the Belgian region of Wallonia threatened to capsize the whole agreement.A majority of the European Parliament stuck with the view that CETA is the most modern and progressive trade agreement that the EU has ever negotiated, and thus voted in favour of the agreement.“The approval of CETA by the European Parliament provides a much needed victory for positive globalisation and the wider EU trade policy,” Simon Bergulf, Director of EU Affairs at Danish Shipowners’ Association, said.He emphasized that the agreement contains an ambitious maritime chapter that will ensure continued free and fair access for European shipping companies to Canadian ports and present new opportunities for feeder and dredging services.“Today’s vote comes at a crucial time for the EU’s trade relations as anti-globalisation sentiments are gaining ground in the political debate in Europe. Furthermore, the shipping community stand to benefit from the agreement as our members have maritime business in Canada worth roughly EUR 350 million. If trade in goods increases as we have seen in the aftermath of the free trade agreement with South Korea, this figure will grow considerably,” Bergulf added.
A new video featuring star-football players from FC Barcelona and the Spanish National 5-a-side blind football team was released today to celebrate the importance of inclusive play for children and the beginning of the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janerio, Brazil.Video: FC Barcelona and Spain’s 5-a-side blind team celebrate the power of inclusive sport for children The video features five FC Barcelona footballers playing blindfolded against Spain’s 5-a-side Paralympic football team. It is a collaboration between UNICEF, the FC Barcelona Foundation and the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) to show the power of sports to level the playing field for everyone.The video will be shown at sporting venues throughout the Paralympic games, which run until the 18th of September.“The Paralympic Games prove that ability, not disability, defines what a person can accomplish and this video shows that there should be no limits on what a child can aspire to — in sport, in school or in life,” said UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake. “UNICEF is proud to work alongside our beloved Barça to give so many more children the chance to play, to learn and to make the most of their abilities — and thus, their lives.”IPC President Sir Philip Craven said: “Thanks to this collaboration with UNICEF and the FC Barcelona Foundation, this video shows the skills and prowess of visually impaired footballers as they take on their idols. It is clear from the response of Messi, Busquets, Masip, Rakitic and Sergi Roberto that they find playing without sight very challenging. This highlights just how impressive football-5 players are, and the pin-point accuracy required to take a penalty kick without one of your most important senses.“We hope it can show youngsters around the world that they too can do amazing things and that they have the same right to play as anyone else.”This week marks the 10th Anniversary of the UNICEF-FC Barcelona Foundation partnership. Over the last decade, the partnership has reached over a million boys and girls with access to education, sport and play for children who might otherwise be excluded. This work includes the “Open Doors” programme which operates in 15 cities across Brazil promoting inclusive education to girls and boys with disabilities.“Here at the FC Barcelona Foundation, we aim to extract the full potential of sport as a tool for inclusion, and especially that of children with disabilities. The “Open Doors” project that we are running in Brazil in conjunction with UNICEF and the Rodrigo Mendes Institute has set new standards in this field. Here at the FCB Foundation we are committed to continuing our work on projects like this that help us to make our philosophy tangible and to construct a fairer and more inclusive society for the most at-risk groups,” says First Vice-Chairman of the FC Barcelona Foundation Jordi Cardoner.The five players from FC Barcelona featured in the video are: Sergio Busquets, Jordi Masip, Lionel Messi, Ivan Rakitic and Sergi Roberto. The Spanish National 5-a-side players are Pedro Gutierrez León, Jose Luis Giera Tejuelo, Javier Alvaro Ruiz, Francisco Javier Pérez Muñoz, Marcelo Rosado Carrasco and Sergio Cano Rodríguez.