Former attorney-general Mark Dreyfus tweeted, “If The Australian has any respect for decency and standards it must apologize immediately, and never again publish cartoons like this.”But The Australian’s editor-in-chief, Christopher Dore, stood by the cartoon, saying Leak was mocking Biden’s own words.”The words ‘little black and brown girls’ belong to Joe Biden, not Johannes, and were uttered by the presidential candidate when he named Kamala Harris as his running mate yesterday; he repeated them in a tweet soon after,” Dore said in a note to the newspaper’s staff, provided to Reuters by Murdoch’s News Corp.Biden had tweeted on Thursday, regarding his choice of Harris as his vice presidential candidate: “This morning, little girls woke up across this nation — especially Black and Brown girls who so often may feel overlooked and undervalued in our society — potentially seeing themselves in a new way: As the stuff of Presidents and Vice Presidents.” Dore said, “The intention of Johannes’s commentary was to ridicule identity politics and demean racism, not perpetuate it.”Leak did not immediately respond to an email request for comment.Another Murdoch publication in Australia faced condemnation in 2018 over a cartoon of tennis star Serena Williams having a temper tantrum at the US Open.Fans, celebrities and civil rights groups called the caricature racist, but Australia’s media watchdog last year ruled that cartoon was not racist.Topics : A cartoon in Australia’s biggest national newspaper drew condemnation on Friday as being racist for portraying US Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden describing his new running mate, Kamala Harris, as “this little brown girl”.The cartoon by Johannes Leak in Rupert Murdoch’s The Australian newspaper, known for its conservative views, depicted a beaming Biden saying Harris, the first Black woman on a major-party national ticket, would help “heal a nation divided by racism” while he went “for a lie-down.””It’s offensive and racist,” Andrew Giles, an Australian Labor politician and shadow cabinet minister, said on Twitter.This is appalling. https://t.co/rnQUOuTeUA— Andrew Giles MP (@andrewjgiles) August 13, 2020
Part of the166 Balmoral Rd, Montville offering which is listed for offers over $2,650,000. Picture: realestate.com.auThe Sunshine Coast hinterland has always been a popular market, and who wouldn’t want to live somewhere surrounded by lush green hills and distant ocean views?And there are plenty of options from every price point.At the high end of the market you can accommodate not only yourself, but more than a dozen of your nearest and dearest.A home at 166 Balmoral Rd, Montville, is listed for offers of more than $2.65 million. 42 Treehaven Way, Maleny is seeking offers of more than $895,000. Picture: realestate.com.auThe four-bedroom, two-bathroom home on 5014sq m is listed through RE/MAX Hinterland — Maleny. It has entertainment areas and an in-ground heated lap pool.The home has Sydney blue gum timber floors, timber bench tops in the kitchen, a 5kw solar system, solar hot water and more than 100,000 litres of rain water storage. The property has 18 bedrooms in all. Picture: realestate.com.auClouds of Montville is 10 self-contained apartments and a two-storey, two-bedroom townhouse. Cottages in Montville is four luxury rainforest spa cottages while Montville Day Spa has three massage rooms, a beauty therapy room, sauna and flotation pool. The sale of the property includes all the furniture and fittings.If sharing with that many people isn’t appealing, a home at 42 Treehaven Way, Maleny, is for sale for offers of more than $895,000. 166 Balmoral Rd, Montville comes with its own day spa. Picture: realestate.com.auFor that money you can secure an 18-bedrooms on acreage, with 17 bathrooms and parking for 16 cars.More from newsLand grab sees 12 Sandstone Lakes homesites sell in a week21 Jun 2020Tropical haven walking distance from the surf9 Oct 2019The property is listed through Trevor Jones of Blue Moon Property — Sunshine Coast. It operates as accommodation known as Clouds of Montville, Cottages in Montville and Montville Day Spa. At the more affordable end of the scale is this Maleny home listed for $435,000. Picture: realestate.com.auAt the cheaper end of the market, a two-bedroom Maleny home is listed for $435,000 through Shane Gierke, Maleny and Hinterland Real Estate — Maleny.The 1920s Queenslander with a sleep-out was moved to its position in the ’80s. It retains many original features, including light fittings, stained glass feature windows and decorative fretwork, while the kitchen and bathroom have been modernised.
The total cost is estimated at £29.2million, £25.2million of which is being funded by local government. “Receiving planning permission from DOE Planning is another major step in the Windsor Park redevelopment project and a great step forward for football in Northern Ireland,” said IFA President, Jim Shaw. “Everyone involved in the project has worked extremely hard to get to this stage and I would like to thank everyone involved in the project as well as all the stakeholders who shared their thoughts during the consultation process. “The National Football Stadium plans are truly impressive and I know that once the redevelopment project is complete Windsor Park will be a stadium which we will all be proud of.” Sport Minister Caral Ni Chuilin added: “This marks another important stage in the redevelopment of Windsor Park. The Irish Football Association is now able to move to the next stage of their ambition to create a modern stadium to cater for the needs of the whole football community. “I am sure the new ground will be enjoyed by generations to come. “Today’s progress also represents another step in my department’s regional sports stadiums programme which follows the Executive pledge of up to £110 million of government funding for the redevelopment of three regional sports stadiums at Ravenhill, Windsor Park and Casement Park.” The redevelopment of Windsor Park moved a step closer when the Irish Football Association received confirmation that planning permission has been received for their plans. An extensive revamp of Northern Ireland’s home ground, also that of Irish League champions Linfield, has been undergoing public consultation in recent months and a final plan was submitted in December. The approved plans will see Windsor Park expanded to a capacity of 18,000 with all four stands being renovated, replaced or – in the case of the south stand – rebuilt from scratch, with work due to begin in September. Press Association
A Walmart in El Paso plans to reopen with a permanent memorial for the 22 people gunned down there earlier this month.Police and the FBI finished processing the crime scene last week and gave control back to Walmart.Crews will completely renovate the store before reopening in a few months while nearly all 400 Walmart employees have been temporarily reassigned.During construction, armed guards will remain on site.Additionally, a fence has been put up for trespassers.“Nothing will erase the pain of Aug. 3, and we’re hopeful that reopening the store will be another testament to the strength and resiliency that has characterized the El Paso community in the wake of this tragedy,” Walmart spokesman Randy Hargrove said in a statement.The project is expected to take three to four months.
“We have maps and data that support that smoke from this size stack will travel for six miles. If accurate, you’re not talking about a local issue. This covers a large part of northern Monmouth County. You’re talking north to Hazlet and Holmdel; west to Marlboro and south to Red Bank and Little Silver. This is not just a couple of neighborhoods in Middletown that should be worried,” added Clark, who recently launched an online petition denouncing the crematorium. The petition currently has more than 4,000 signatures. Rather than a location set behind the cemetery’s mausoleums, which are visible to drivers traveling the state roadway, the developers have eyed a vacant, forested area on the other side of the railroad tracks identified on the municipal tax map as Block 865, Lot 136. According to New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) press officer Lawrence Hajna, Fair View Cemetery applied for an air pollution control pre-construction permit three years before submitting its application to the township in 2017. Unlike the original site among the cemetery’s thousands of headstones, which includes vital infrastructure like roadways, parking areas and utilities, this 19.5-acre plot is completely undeveloped and, if approved, would place the crematorium directly across Oak Hill Road from the entrance to the Poricy Park Nature Center and a residential development accessible via Ivy Hill Road. It would also be adjacent to Fairview Fields, a series of soccer fields used by township athletes. Currently there are no regulating measures on the books in Middletown pertaining to crematoriums. Mackiewicz said when the application first came before the planning board, she questioned a developer’s professional about the chamber emissions and was troubled to hear the response. “They told me the only thing that comes out of the chamber is water vapor. But that’s a vague statement. After questioning them about the vapor, they said it would not be 100 percent clean. They said it’s the same effect as if I was running my own fireplace. But I’m not putting bodies in my fire place. There’s other things in a body we need to worry about,” Mackiewicz told The Two River Times. Clark also noted there is mercury present in some deceased bodies, mostly derived from silver dental fillings, that is most dangerous to pregnant women and small children. Though crematoriums are considered low emitters of potentially hazardous materials, a group of township residents are not so sure. QUESTIONINGEMISSIONS According to the New Jersey Cemetery Association there are an estimated 25 operational crematoriums in the state, and around the country they are being viewed as a viable option for cemeteries that are running out of plots. A crematorium is a permitted use at Fair View Cemetery, one of the largest nonsectarian cemeteries in the Garden State. Two years ago the application was granted conditional approval by the Middletown Planning Board. The DEP approved thatpermit June 19, 2014, andthe permit is due to expireJune 18, 2019, Hajna toldThe Two River Times. Regina Mackiewicz said she began monitoring the situation in April 2017, and is the founder of the Facebook group Stop Fairview Crematorium, a private group that has nearly 550 members. Fair View Cemetery, a 90-acre parcel bordering Route 35 South, Oak Hill Road and the NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line railway, initially proposed the construction of a crematorium in April 2017. However, the site of theproject will be moved. Clark, who was an active member of the Residents Against Giant Electric (RAGE) group, which was instrumental in defeating a $111 million power line proposal by JCP&L, said a new resident opposition group is growing in the township and is collecting data that shows the potential dangers which could arise from the crematorium chambers. The scope of the project is expected to remain the same when Fair View Cemetery goes back to the planning board March 20. A NEW LOCATION Despite several attempts, Fair View Cemetery superintendent William Rockafellow could not be reached for comment. “For me, it’s the environmental impact and it’s the toxins that are most troubling. The smoke stacks are said to be low emitters, but there are still hazardous materials like mercury we need to worry about,” said Andrew Clark during a Feb. 25 interview with The Two River Times. Mackiewicz noted that some bodies can contain medical implants, silicone implants and even unaccounted-for pacemakers. “If pacemakers aren’t removed at the funeral home, who is to say they’ll be removed by the crematorium operators? It could be overlooked, and pacemakers do explode inside crematorium chambers, damaging the chambers and filtration systems, which could lead to bigger problems.” But when the developer, Fair View Cemetery Association, sought a setback variance a few months later, which would have allowed them to build the facility just 50 feet away from the nearby highway, the application was snuffed out with a unanimous vote at the July 24, 2017 zoning board meeting. According to the projectdescription delivered to thezoning board in September2016, the project called fora 1,128-square-foot humancrematorium facility withtwo chambers. Because the application is open before the planning board, Middletown Township personnel and elected officials declined comment. RESIDENTS RALLYIN OPPOSITION MIDDLETOWN – After lying dormant, an application for a proposed crematorium is scheduled to go back before the township planning board in March. Crematoriums have been a controversial topic in the area in recent years, including a 2014 case in Oceanport in which elected officials said they would mount a legal defense against Woodbine Cemetery. Though Woodbine proposed a crematorium, it could not obtain an air pollution permit from the DEP. In 2016, a group of Manalapan residents entered a similar fight against a proposed crematorium at the Old Tennent Cemetery. The planning board ultimately refused to hear the application.